Local Acorn Squash: Sweet & Savory
Inspired by the winter squash that we've been enjoying from farm stands in the valley and from our farmer's market booth neighbors, comes two ways to enjoy acorn squash with a blueberry twist for breakfast (!), lunch or dinner. Are you team sweet or savory?
Personally, we're team warm, healthy, & filling which both of these preparations fit the bill.
Sweet Breakfast Acorn Squash
- 1 medium acorn squash, cut in half with seeds removed & set aside
- 1 TBS salted butter, melted (if vegan or dairy free, use 2 tsp coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt, divided (we used Samish Bay Cheese Organic Greek Yogurt)
- 2 TBS Organic Blueberry Confiture, divided (more or less to taste)
- Roasted acorn squash seeds (see preparation below) or chopped pecans
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Roasted Acorn Squash Seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Toss oil and spices on clean/dry seeds, then roast at 375 F for about 15 minutes. Check out this blog post from the view from great island on roasting seeds for some other great tips.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds & set aside. Place halves facing up on lined baking sheet
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and cinnamon. Use your fingers to rub each half of the flesh of the acorn squash with the coconut oil and cinnamon mixture.
- Place 1 teaspoon of brown sugar in the middle of each half and rub into the squash. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Once squash is done, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes then place on plates or put in closed container if you are planning to enjoy this later.
- When ready to serve, make sure squash is warm then scoop 1/2 cup yogurt into each squash half along with a tablespoon each of confiture and a sprinkle of spiced roasted seeds.
Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash & Wild Rice
- 3 medium acorn squash, cut in half with seeds removed & set aside
- olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- sea salt
- Cut and seed your squash, place on baking sheet with cut side up. Brush each half with a little oil, and season with a sprinkle of thyme, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake at 400 F for 40-45 minutes, until tender
- 1 cup wild rice
- Cook your rice according to package directions. Wild rice will take about the same time as the squash to cook, about 40-45 min. Set aside.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion or 1 large shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms (about 2 cups), sliced
- 5-6 leaves of rainbow chard & stems
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
sea salt & pepper to taste
Combine the rice and sautéed vegetables in the larger of the two pots. Taste for seasoning adding additional salt and pepper as needed.
Scoop mixture into each acorn squash half and serve with simple roasted acorn squash seeds and a generous drizzle of our blueberry marinade & salad dressing.
Recipe adapted from The Simple Veganista
Products Featured in this Recipe
Formerly known as our Blueberry Jam. Farm crafted from our Bluecrop variety, this low sugar and not too sweet fruit spread recipe has the perfect balance of cardamom...
A sweet and savory marinade and dipping sauce for fish, fowl, or game. Simply baste protein while cooking. Mix into a dressing with oil or plain yogurt for greens, grains...